Saturday, April 15, 2006

Ching Ming

My mum, Wen Wen and I went to Ching Ming today. From what I know, we are pretty late into this thing. Most people had already get it over with.

But also good lah. I hate crowded places and combine that with joss smoke, that's really a killer.

For those who don't know, Ching Ming is the period where we(the living family members) will pray and make offerings to our deceased family member.

In my case, that would be my dad. He passed away about 13 years ago.

Despite all the many rituals I'd been through, I still have problems remembering them. Not that I'm such a believer but these are the small little things that make growing up interesting. Still, I mostly likely will go through with them when there's no one around to guide me.

Actually today's one is pretty straightforward.

I went through ours at Man Fatt Lam and you basically get a start kit of incense papers, 5 oranges, one chinese cake, one packet of vege bee hoon and a cup of tea.

Below the first item gets incenerated, you need to "ensure" that the food had been "consumed". So most would throw 2 coins on the floor. If they land of different sides, that would be an indication of an "I'm done!"

Food wise I think is quite individualistic. Very subject to preference. To my children, when I'm the one you are making the offerings to, please replace the vege bee hoon with a Mushroom Swiss Meal, 3 pcs KFC plus a Ya Kun kopi gao(thick).

Hey, I only enjoy it once a year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahhaha...LoL...Adrian tan! You made me LOL in front of my pc at ur last part of ur post! Replacing the meal with kfc etc etc...kaoz!!
Datz so corny! Mayb by then ur children will do offerings online liaoz lor...
www.chingming.com/offerings/adriantan~~~~~ =P