Saturday, November 11, 2006

Insurance

I had always wanted to write something about this topic but my recent schedule has not been cooperative.

And it should be worse now that I just failed my IPPT. Now I have to go for Remedial Training twice a week for a full 4 weeks before my next attempt. And I failed by 6 secs for my 2.4km run. :(

Anyway the topic is insurance, not my fitness level.

Having read Mr Wang's dissection of a typical pitch, it sure makes one think again about forking out money after money is getting higher and higher coverage.

For my current portfolio, I'm already paying about $650 per month of premiums. And somehow it never seemed enough. One of my agent recently reviewd my policy and if I were to have myself "fully covered", I need to spend another $600 per month on new policies.

I was like "Wow". And my intial $650 was only achieved not so long ago. It was only $150 per month previously.

$1200 per month!. That is like someone else's salary. This is financial planning?

Even if I'm earning $10k a month, spending 10% of it on insurance seems ridiculously high. My savings may not even be at 10%, though I must admit that all my policies are ILP, which carries a return and thus a higher premium.

Yes, the probability of you dying may add a heavy boulder over your family's shoulder. But all of us only have finite amount of money. Would you prefer to throw all $$ into insurance and let your family become overnight millionaires, or should you use that money to better the quality of everday life with your family.

Quantity versus quality.

Post Note: Many of us should be familiar with this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess it's a balance. It would make sense to have more insurance when you have old parents and young children. How about getting some life or term policies? Would be good to have a mix, and would prob be cheaper.

I don't earn comission, but i have a financial adviser (no charge) at Finexis and they carry all financial investment pdts and can 'tidy up' and review your policies and give unbias recommendations of what suit you most at this point in time. I have recommended several friends and they are really happy with her. I am happy with her too and would say that she's very good (it helps that she calls me often in the US and send Ruixiang presents :p). If you would like to meet up with her (no obligations lah), let me know and I will get her to contact you....

adriantan18 said...

That sounds good. I think that is what I need now as well, unbiased opinions on what I should or should not do.

My number is 98523746. You can just get her to call me.

Btw, when would you be free to catch up?

Anonymous said...

Okie, sure! :) As for when's a good time to catch up, I will contact you again? Now really up to my neck (or top of head) with housework/ settling down stuff.