Thursday, December 07, 2006

My cue to Depression

I thought about this when I was at Bedok Camp yesterday for my Remedial Training. As it was near the airport, I could see planes descending across our workout area.

When I was in NS, I had a brief stint as a Publication I/C. Basically I am in charge of all the publications(books) that my unit owns.

One of my side task was to assist ORD personals as they need to secure clearance from my department I/Cs (including myself) before they could officially be released and get back their identity card.

I always try my best to drop everything on hand and help them get the signatures they need. It sort of satisfy me to see people who could finally gain their path to freedom.

And when I'm out of army, I had thought of becoming an immigration officer at the Changi Airport. Maybe I could draw the same sense of satisfaction helping people to quickly get through customs and to their flight away from their mundane life.

But what that has pros would have its cons.

Every time I see the back of cleared ORD personals walking away from me, I would slip into a minor depression mode. I would reflect onto my current life and count for the umpteen times when would it finally be my turn.

Had I become an immigration officer, the volume of passengers would easily make me turn to a psychiatrist the very next day.

As much as I love to help people get going, I would also love to be those people too.

Which could very much explains why I had always wanted to become a cabin crew. I still harbors the sentiment albeit it is even more impossible for me to do so now.

But still, depression is a choice. I can only hope I could grow out of this soon.

No comments: