Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Think before you lend

My wife and i had some dispute quite some time ago. She loaned someone money. This someone is a person whom I personally felt had total disregard for money given her lavish lifestyle.



And I believe it was also achieved because all her husband salary goes into her account. She in turn would give him a paltry allowance a day to get by. (Poor man if you ask me, pun no intended)



Despite that, she gets into debt and all(albeit she is not the cause of it).



Still, it didn't gel well for me when my wife told me she loaned money to her. She defended her decision and I'm so pleased a week ago when I could tell her in her face, " I TOLD YOU SO!"



For those who know me well, I'm not a lender. Conversely I try not to borrow from people too. Unless you need it for an urgent medical fee, you can go to GE Money.



And based on my understanding, the lender in this instance had exhausted nearly all possible avenues. GE Money, loan shark and apparently all my colleagues.



Actually I'm still okay up till this point, until I came to know that she would be going on a trip to Bangkok with her husband. On borrowed money no less.



Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume a typical person in debt would be scrimping here and there to repay off his/her debt. Not go to Bangkok on a shopping trip.



Then again, I have a friend who used to be in a lot of debt. He told me he is already owing banks $20k. An amount he can't clear. So it doesn't matter even if the debt balloon to $40k. He still couldn't clear it.



From that perspective, I can understand. Which also make me more pissed that my wife is a victim here.



Oh well. I guessed $200 is a small price to pay to see the person behind the veil.

No comments: