Sunday, July 29, 2007

10 years ago...

I was driving halfway when it suddenly strikes me to think of what I was 10 years ago.

That would be 1997. And around July I should be working as a temp at this company call KHL Printing. It was located at Loyang and my friend Joe roped me in as sort of his replacement as he would be heading to Polytechnic soon.

It was data entry at first before I ran out of things to type. Then I was placed in the warehouse in charge of dispatching drivers to make their morning deliveries. As they only do morning, afternoon is really a bore.

I was also awaiting my enlistment at the end of the year (26 Dec 1997).

Fast forward to present time. I own and manage my recruitment firm, I have a place I could call my own, a wonderful wife, a car to go wherever I want and almost everything I have now are things I could never have dreamed of back then.

It's appalling how chains of events lead me to where I am.

However the point is that at times I'd felt unsatisfied with what I have. Always thinking of how I could be more contended if I had more of these or more of that.

But if I were to look at it through the eyes when I was an 18 year old, I should be the ultimate role model to emulate.

And as we all know too, buying more things to fulfill our dissatisfaction is never-ending.

Maybe for once before you fork out that wallet to pay for another thing that you don't really need, think back to 10 years ago. Would the same person 10 years ago also feel the same kind of dis contention as you do now?


Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

Joe Goh said...

You may want to read this interesting article on accumulating "stuff": http://www.paulgraham.com/stuff.html

Joe Goh said...

And don't miss this one, "10 Tips That Will Make Sure You'll Stay Broke" - http://consumerist.com/consumer/let.s-spend-some-cash/consumerists-10-tips-that-will-make-sure-youll-stay-broke-284375.php