Friday, August 03, 2007

Why I (still) can't get used to my iMac..

I think I finally get why I still can't get used to my iMac when I have gotten used to some many new things in my life (new address, new bed, etc)
.
.
.
.
iMac is too ... perfect! That's right. I can't FINE-TUNE it!

In retrospect, the following is how I spend my computing time (during the PC days):

20% - gaming (would escalate by a lot when I get my hand on a really addictive game.)
10% - studies (would lessen when I get distracted by a really addictive game)
25% - surfing and chatting
5% - evaluating new softwares
40% - finding ways and means to improve the PC!

That would mean things like trying out the latest registry cleaner, tweaking with regedit, trying all possible means to defrag the harddisk, always on the lookout for the latest graphic drivers.

As boring as it sounds, I LOVE doing it. It used to be so extreme that I could almost get a high when I reformat and reinstall my windows.

Now that I'm using a mac, even my studies time is significantly reduced. (I used word processor to compile my notes and I HATE to use open office.)

There are so little good games on the market, let alone games that are meant for OS X.

So few sharewares and freewares that are Mac friendly and I don't even have a Bios to play with when I want to!

That literally make my new iMac a very nice looking internet surfing machine.

Well, I did come across this a while ago. I'm making this my homepage for the time being. Hopefully this will act as a catalyst to ease me into the world of apple.

4 comments:

Joe Goh said...

Hehe, I do remember a few years ago when you told me that you're sick of tweaking Windows though. How many times can you defrag your hard drive? How many registry settings can you possibly tweak before the gains just become meaningless?

In any case, if you do want something to tweak, Mac OS X can be a very good place to be - you just need to know where to find things, and just like using regedit in the Windows world - you are responsible if Things Go Wrong, so don't say I didn't warn you. :-) And yes, you can defrag a Mac OS X HFS+ partition.

There's also TONS of shareware/freeware titles for Mac OS X - check out:
http://unsanity.com/products/
http://www.macupdate.com/
http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

I can also point out lots of other ways you can tweak your Mac. I might have stole some of the fun from you though when I helped you do it when I came over the other day. :-)

adriantan18 said...

thanks man...

I'm testing Opera now so this should keep me pretty occupied. :)

Btw, know of any good bittorrent program for Mac? Haven't speed issues with the one that comes with Opera.

Joe Goh said...

Try this one: http://transmission.m0k.org/

adriantan18 said...

Thanks man. I already got that one. Just completed a few movies download too. :)