Sunday, August 12, 2007

Dempsey Road

Having heard so much about this place, I feel that it is my duty as a Singaporean to experience it at the very least.

This former British army barracks and Central Manpower Base premises is now a series of warehouses selling South-East Asian furniture, carpets and exotic artifacts.



Not to mention many funky restaurants and cafes.

This place reminds me of Seletar Camp and Turf City. But you can see from the rows of expensive cars and ang mohs that their target market are very up class.

Again, you almost can't see any high-rise from the place. Giving a very countryside kind of illusion. A sense of peace and serenity



The place is starting to become commercialize as you can see from the pristine water fountain that greets visitors. But still, it has a long way to go before the entire place gets "en bloc".

A late lunch was at Dome. The rest looks a bit too expensive but a mid-month expenditure.



Not only does it has the highest ceiling of all Dome Cafe, it even has a compass in case you lost your way in their place.



Since Dome could easily be found in Singapore, I shall skip the review. I was too hungry to give an objective assessment anyway.

One interesting place you might chance upon at the back of Dempsey is House.



The place is perched at the edge of a cliff. It reminds me of Sentosa Resort. I spent quite a while trying to figure out if the place is a chalet, a restaurant, a spa or an artsy fartsy place that is waiting to close down.



It's actually not a chalet but all of the rest and more. It even house a jacuzzi area within the few weeks old complex.

Their concept is really a bit new to me. Mixing Spa + Dining + Bar.



There's even a huge football pitch. Anyone knows how could I book that?

No comments: