Tuesday, August 14, 2007

IT Sourcing is so tough!

Recently I have been googling a lot at work. I think I must have spent 3/4 of the day searching the internet.

I'm looking for a computer system that could act as the focal point for us to gather and share all our information. In our industry, it's called Applicant Tracking System(ATS). Some might call it Human Resource Management System (HRMS). The rest might call it Recruitment Management System or RMS.

And after doing this for days, I realised just how technologically backward Singapore IT company is. There isn't a single company in Singapore that actually provide a system that is decent and complete enough for a Recruitment Agency. Which also mean I can't get grant from the government as it only permits local vendor.

And to rub salt in, this industry is flourishing over at UK, Australia & North America.

So for the past few work days, I have been largely training my ears to apprehend comprehend English with huge dose of British. Years of listening to English Premier League football sure helps.

Being the first time sourcing for such a system that would eventually be so critical to the entire operations, it ain't easy. Or maybe I'm too picky. Too idealistic. Or just too plain naive.

To date I have spoken with 4 and had a good run of their demonstration. Another 4 is lined up and I just send out at least another 5 requests after learning that there are so many other providers out there. Which of them could be the ONE?

One wrong move and tons of $$ would be going down the drain.

Oh man. The weight on my shoulder is getting heavier and heavier...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you looked at CATS (http://www.catsone.com). I don't think you need to spend a penny on an ATS if you could get it for free. Its open source and free for commercial use.

adriantan18 said...

thanks sam! It seems to be similiar to what I need. I'll test it out and see if it could work out for my company.