Friday, November 16, 2007

My first seminar


I just finished spending my last three working days at SIM attending a course about managing people.

It is quite an interesting experience. For someone who isn't really sociable, I hate the thought of going through 3 days with a group of strangers with nothing to talk about. And it didn't turn out that way.

I got to know quite a fair bit of people from different industries and walks of life. It is very insightful to see things from another person's perspective. Given that these people possess a fair bit of intellect to reach the managerial level that they are, I really enjoy speaking with them. Nothing makes me feel "higher" than talking to smart people. You can learn so much from a single conversation!

That aside, the trainer was excellent and the issues covered in the course really provide one with another perspective in handling certain matters at work.

I had my doubts before the course that what I'm going to learn would be too theoretical and couldn't be applicable in real life. But this made me realize that theory comes from real-life experience.

Hence I'm really pleased that I've learned something useful and has a new shiny certificate to show for it. It's not cheap though so my next one should be quite some time away. In the meanwhile, I would try to apply what I've learned to good effects at my workplace. I think I would open this up to my staff too.

A training peer told me that their company set aside a budget each year per staff for their training purpose. They did it as part of their ISO fulfillment but I think it is an excellent idea. I'm trying to see how this might be possible at my office too.

I learned so much in these 3 days than over the past year taking my accounting diploma. Makes me feel so dumb to waste a year of evenings when all I need are more specialized financial training that SIM also have short seminars on. Damn!

No comments: