Sunday, December 11, 2005

Small or big, still elephants what

I was reading the sat newspaper and chanced upon another article about the Buangkok issue.

This one tells it from the MP perspective, Charles Chong and it basically charts the period over the past two years surrounding the Buangkok contraversy.

But there is a certain portion of the article that is pretty interesting:
One idea they did consider seriously was to hold a non-official, non-opening ceremony by unveiling a life-size white elephant statue outside Buangkok station on the same day that then-deputy prime minister Lee Hsien Loong was to officially launch the NEL,on Aug 28, 2003. 'No, no, no, I told them. I don't think Singapore is ready for that kind of statement,' says Mr Chong

In fact, he had not wanted to go to the official opening either.But Mr Lee met him in Parliament House and showed him the tie he planned to wear to the event - a white tie with dark blue elephants.

'I'm not sure if Mr Lee had heard about the rumours about the non-opening ceremony but when he showed me the tie, I was delighted,' he says.'I found a red tie with white elephants, so I turned up at the official opening, seated right behind with a smile on my face.
So to all detractors who think that you can't have freedom of expression in Singapore, think again. I never even heard Dr Chee attempting to register his unhappiness on a *gasp* tie.

I am also doing that in fact. I am making cardboard pictures of lifts and hanging it all over my room. So when my MPs come and visit, he can tell that I am not very happy that almost all the flats in Tampines have lifts except mine.

No comments: