Sunday, February 26, 2006

Chinatown

With the whole of yesterday rotting at home watching tv, we finally decided to have an outing for some dim sum with the rest of the family.

We took bus number 12 from Tampines to Chinatown. Each time I take it only further reinforce my sentiment never to take it again. It was a bum-numbing, hunger-dragging journey



But I always enjoy a "road trip", inculcated in me during my early years when my father drive me around admiring scenaries. It sure was a crowded weekend.


Oooi~~! Don't block my camera leh. :p

The journey took us past a vintage building which has been refurnished and modernized by someone with a lot of colors on his hand.



Singapore's chinatown must be the most commercialized one in the world. No bargaining, a lot of expensive restaurant and even a Chinatown Heritage Centre that peddles their namesake souvenirs.



There's even a train station that facilitates accessibility, although the building stick out like a sore thumb



If the bell doesn't get you attention from the waiter,......



Still, they do sell a few interesting stuff over there at tourist-conning price. Like this one.



You see, she so happy with me getting the t-shirt also.



There's also a store selling chinese translation of english names.



And if you have a fetish for worned-out statue



Or worned out chests. (That golden thing on the right is a live-sized buddha)



And finally we reached upon the other side of the alley. This place feels a lot like those pasar malam that is everywhere in Malaysia and Thailand. A lot of interesting useless stuffs but minus the bargaining.



See this? This is a magnetic chain. You can use it as a necklace or just coil it around your arm like a bracelet. $10 ea.



Here is another t-shirt that seemed decent.



Oh! And I saw my future car. But I intend to get it in black. Because my wife thinks that the black strip that run across looks ugly. Women. *roll eyes*



We headed for deserts to complement our sucky dim sum at TianJin House. Mouth Restaurant or Yum Cha would had been a better choice.

This place is called Ji De Chi or Remember to Eat. They carry only deserts and deserts only.



Seemed quite a popular place too judging by the postings on the wall.



I had Double Boiled Egg White but my mouth acted fasted than my camera trigger finger.



Yummy!

1 comment:

Mockingbird said...

Should have taken MRT from Tampines to Outram Park to get to Chinatown instead of Bus no. 12 :)