Wednesday, November 23, 2005

My burgeoning expenditure

I was reading BM's posting about our expenses on mobile and internet. This is something I have always ponder over as well.

Like my friend Desmond used to say, "a few dollars here, a few dollars there, you wouldn't have any much left."

Which is very true.

5 years ago when I was still an NSF, my expenses were:
  1. Pager
  2. Dial-up internet
  3. Transport
= no savings

5 years later today:
  1. Handphone
  2. Cable modem
  3. SCV
  4. Insurance
  5. Credit cards repayment
  6. Family allowance
  7. Transport (and soon, a car)
= lagi no savings

In time to come:
  1. House
  2. Kids
  3. And all other expenses that comes with it.
= bankrupt

This is not including the many fine dinings I had within a month(my quota was once a month but I always breach it)

Like I said before, my NS time was considered one of my happiest time(minus the training period). Close to zero committment and not being home 5.5 days a week also reduced my contribution to the electric/water bill.

And maybe that is why I've been feeling not my happy self for quite sometime. Those who knows me should notice the change because even I could see it. I talked lesser, socialize even lesser, gets agitated very easily and became less crappy too.

The stress load of all these expenses and consideration of future ones seems to be taking a toll on me.

Yes, Singapore is an expensive place to live in but it can still be affordable if one is prudent.

Maybe lunching alone these few days gave me much time to reflect on my life. And for once, I begin to miss my old self.

I'm writing this out to remind myself as a pledge to bring my old self back and to do so, normalize my expenses.

And I'm not going to give myself excuses like I'll start next year while I enjoy this xmas. These are simply procrastination which will lead me to write a part 2 on this subject again.

Drastic times call for drastic measures. Apart from externalities, I will :
  1. Clear my cc repayment by March 06
  2. Keep only 2-3 cc, the rest cut.
  3. Get a cheaper internet plan once current one expire.
  4. Swap for a even cheaper mobile plan.
  5. Reduce my SCV plan
  6. No fancy dinners til March 06 (except my wife bday next month)
  7. Source for a tutor, lecturer part-time post at local private school
  8. Channel all but bare-minimum-for-survial salary into savings account.
= no holidays, no expensive shirts, no new hp.

No choice, it's tough but if I had exercise prudency back then, I wouldn't have to be doing this.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

it is always a case of too many wants, too little $

not everyone is good at money management. we are all in the same situation.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Singapore's expenses can be manageable, if only one can be rational and not give in to their wants (v. hard to do sometimes) that often.

Do you really need so many cc? Having so many also makes it hard to accrue points wat. You and your wife can hold diff cc to enjoy diff discounts :p

Do u need a car? u will need that someday, when you have children, but for now, maybe save abit lor? tahan abit longer? Tanjong Pagar v accessible by MRT wat...

I know this is none of my busines.. :p, just my two cents worth.

Insurances, family allowances, SCV, internet... I think can't be help.

adriantan18 said...

haha. i thot about the points thing too. thus i should be cutting away two cards by this week. *yeah*

Well, the car is really something I'm tempted by too. Not cheap but taking MRT/Bus is really a bit unbearable leh. or maybe red eye seeing other people enjoying the convenience.

Btw, saw your Coach collections. kekez. very hard to control hor...