Friday, November 04, 2005

My first test-drive

My office was closed today and thought it would be an excellent idea to go for my very first test-drive.

Yippee!

I had not driven for like ages. The last time I drove I think was back in 2002. My colleague from the sales department need to passed some documents to his customer in Choa Chu Kang. But he is also due to attend the weekly sales meeting.

Being the ever trusty colleague, he entrusted me with the task and passed me his car keys. I had wanted to take a cab actually but how to turn down people's vote of confidence in me. *wink*

I set off from Raffles Place at 3.30pm and grinned while walking to the car park. Driving in a private car, on a public road with the radio screaming in the background is therapy to me.

Alas after numerous failed attempts to change into the correct lanes and even more instances of missed entrances/exits, I finally reach my destination just when it started to rain.

Time: 5.30pm. A 2 hours transit. Wah Piangz.

The return wasn't so bad and no visible damage was apparent. And I started the trip with almost zero petrol. The car really can tahan on thirst!

SO!, I was visibly nervous about driving a car again after so long.

I'm on a budget so I tested those that I think I still can afford without breaking an arm and leg. Breaking either one only I still can contend with.

Anyway, I first went to Kia and tried this.

It's the latest Rio. They have hatchback and Sedan but I'm only looking at the latter. Hatchback I always feel is meant for ladies. So a bit ah gua chia if a man drives it.

I tested the 1.4l Auto

I'm not a car guru so all I can say it is cheap, it has a sports edition which I like(i.e. body kit, black leather seats with red threading). And although it's a budget car, the interior don't feel as cheapo(read: poor plastiky feel/look) as compared to a hyundai accent.

The engine is also pretty quiet.

But this car will be everywhere in time to come. They already sold a couple of hundreds and even if I had placed the order earlier, I need to wait til Feb/Mar.

I went next to try Chevrolet Aveo.

About the same but no sports edition so no body kit. Can't satisfy the ah beng side of me.

More spacious than Rio but heavier too I think. Interior quite ok. Price is about the same. But my wife prefers this one.

I won't be getting now. Most likely to get it early next year and hopefully to take delivery only from April.

Yah, I know. Car's a liability, take public transport better/cheaper, blah blah blah.

I fully agree. But I'm not getting this to show off(a mini cooper?). I getting this for convenience sake. I wish to have more options in spending quality time with my family and also bring convenience to my ageing mum in reducing her reliance on public transport whereby she needs to stand on long journeys.

The weight of the cost of ownership will be borned by me and my wife so it's bearable(I hope she don't get her license, haha)

So GOODBYE long waits for SBS and MRT and HELLO long waits for parking lots!

WooHoo!

6 comments:

Summer Toh Xiaoxin said...

hmmm, yeah, the chev is a better choice!

adriantan18 said...

hmmm..

everyone seems to like chev more..

ANY RIO LOVERS OUT THERE??!!

Summer Toh Xiaoxin said...

bcos better resale value ... kia insurance also higher...

adriantan18 said...

oh realli? didn't noe bout that.

then i may reconsider. hee.

u a chev owner?

Summer Toh Xiaoxin said...

haha, no ... i hyundai owner ... was considering betw kia and hyundai ... i also told annie hyundai better! hee

adriantan18 said...

i would think so too. had wanted to considered matrix but heard neg reviews.

but yesterday i saw what i believed is a new matrix model.

Fwah! quite slick leh. hehe. *tempted again*