Saturday, January 14, 2006

Borrowing

I had lunch with my friend today and he got a call from one of his customer. His customer ran into some problem as he had volunteered to be a guarantor for a friend two years ago over $2,000. His friend ran away and the loan balloned.

So he is borrowing left, right , center to secure the repayment.

About 5 years ago I was asked by a friend to be a guarantor too. She was a colleague and she was selected to be a cabin crew with SIA. And SIA need a guarantor in case they ran away given the bond they had to carry.

Despite her attractiveness, I'm quite proud of myself come up with a lame excuse and rejected her plea. I'm not sure if she had broken the bond but I would have been in deep shit had she broken it. I was surely beyond any means to pay for the bond then.(Well, nether could I now really.)

My point is lending or pledging $$ is a very sensitive thing to me. If I were to work in a bank, I don't think many customers would pass my clearance. The possibility of default scares me and I can think of a 101 ways to put this same amount to much better use, at least for myself.

And vice versa, I hate to borrow money. I had to about 3 times for business purpose but absolutely hated the feeling.

That's the thing about money isn't it. It can buy you a lot of things and a whole lot of trouble too.

No comments: